Sunday, October 24, 2010

Die Zauberflöte

I went and saw "The Magic Flute" last night.  It was AMAZING!!


I had never seen a live opera before.  This one was put on by BYU's School of Music and I was so impressed by the level of musicality and performance.  I ended up going by myself, which really should put me in the lame category of socially awkward people, but I honestly didn't mind.  Sure, it would have been nice to have someone to gush to, but I really just loved the opportunity of being there.  I was in the second row and I'm pretty sure I was sitting on the edge of my seat with my mouth open most of the time :P  The show itself is pretty funny, yet wonderful to listen to, so I recommend it to any looking for an introduction to opera!  (Just FYI- The songs are all in German, with translations up on a screen.  The speaking parts are English.)

Here is a sample of one of the songs from the opera.  This, done by a professional, is probably one of the most famous songs from the show (the girl I saw did a pretty bang up job, though!):

1 comment:

  1. I'm jealous that you got to see it live! I wrote a review of a recorded version while I was in school and it totally opened my eyes to the awesomeness of opera. So cool that you got to go!

    ReplyDelete