Saturday, July 17, 2010

Take Me Out to the Ball Game

My family had so much fun today!  My dad decided he really wanted to go to a driving range and just hit golf balls; the family was to be included, of course.  Let me make this clear: none of us are golfers.  My 10-year old sister had golfing lessons one summer and that's about the extent of our skill.  However, we have some random sets of golf clubs that we got from who-knows-where and so we loaded those in the back of our van and set off for our local driving range/batting cage/mini-golf place.  We arrived, bought a couple of buckets of balls, and had at it.  I would like to tell you that I'm a natural golfer but I am HORRIBLE... so that would be a lie haha.  That's okay, though!  My dad told us that we were not allowed to criticize or show off.  We were just to hit as many golf balls as hard as we could.  I'm sure the middle-aged men already there gave us a few weird looks.  We were quite the collection of ages, outfits, and skill-levels.  We were noisy.  We stayed for awhile.  And we had so much fun!  I think I almost got it to the 100-yard mark once.  My brother, Adams, on the other hand, hit it so far it landed beyond the 200-yard and bounced further than that.  Yet, despite my lack of golfing skill, I found myself laughing and just attacking that ball with an enthusiasm and gusto that surprised me.

We decided that we needed to stay and try out some of the other fun activities, so my dad bought a few tickets for the batting cages.  I was actually pretty good at this!  My dad told me I might have missed my calling in life because I was whacking those fake baseballs all over the place.  (My theory?  It's all because of my tennis swing, which I wouldn't have developed if I tried softball instead.  And I love tennis about a kajillion times more than softball, so phooey.  But I still thought the batting cages great fun!)  After that, we had a family wide mini-golf tournament.  Favorite moment?  N'Krysta hit the last shot (the easy hole-in-one set up like a funnel) into the bar of the net surrounding the hole, by accident, thus popping the golf ball up and over and far far away.  You had to be there.  My dad creamed the competition, with 2-under par.  I think I came in second to last.  But again, it didn't matter!  I just had fun hanging out with my family and trying new things :)

Major Leagues?  I think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment