Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Reading Rainbow

Today was a lazy day.  I tried to convince my siblings to go to a museum with me but they had been "a million times."  Gosh.

So, what did I do?  I read ALL day.  And found some good books to recommend in the process.  So, I decided to compile a list of books I've read this summer that I enjoyed and thought that maybe you would too! (see list below)

I love it when people recommend good books to me because it's sometimes hard to find them on your own.  So, if you want, share your favorite books with me and I'll continue to post about good books I read when I find them!!  I love to read pretty much everything, so anything is fair game :)

These Is My Words was one of the two books I read today.  I had heard about it before and searched for it in the BYU library (no success), Provo library (no success), and my little library in CT (partial success) which had to borrow it from another library.  When I finally got my hands on it, I loved it!!!  You read Sarah's diary and the words themselves reflect her growth.  Love, guns, Indians-- what more do you want? (388 pages)

The Hunger Games.  I'm pretty sure lots of people have heard of it.  I've seen students at school walking around with their heads buried in it, barely avoiding other students, segways, and trees.  It's super fun and addicting, telling the story about a girl named Katniss that must fight for her life in a staged arena against other teenagers/children.  Go for it!!  Just FYI- there are two more books in the series, the third being published in September 2010. (384 pages)

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society was one of the books that some of my friends read for book club.  I wasn't home at the time, but I decided to check it out and it quickly became one of my favorite books.  It's the only book by this author (with help from her niece), as she died before it was published.  However, her voice really resonates me (it's quirky and funny) and, told in letter form, it's about post-WWII Britain/Guernsey Islands and people who love books/life. (288 pages)

Born To Run was introduced to me by my dad.  He's more than a little obsessed with this book about how humans were built to run long distances.  It's fascinating, with a true story interspersed with tons of facts, and you'll probably walk away with the strange urge to run 20-miles barefoot. (304 pages)

Graceling and Fire are placed in a different world where (...wait for it...) maaaagic happens.  Okay, so I'm kind of a dork :P  But if it's your thing, these two books, about two women with totally different gifts, were really fun, different, and the type of book that, before you know it, you've read two-thirds of and can't wait to see what happens next. (480 pages)

A Thousand Splendid Suns is, as you can see from the picture above, another book by Khaled Hosseini, who wrote the excellent book, The Kite Runner (which I also recommend).  This book is more about women in Afghanistan.  Yes, I cried (one of the sure signs that I'm connecting to a book emotionally.) (400 pages)

No comments:

Post a Comment