Sunday, September 5, 2010

Bridal Shower for a Best Friend

This (look up) is one of my best friends in the entire world.  Also known as Rachel.  Rachel got engaged to a boy named John this past summer.  So, our friend Sarah and I threw her a surprise bridal shower to celebrate.

We decided to theme it "Period Romance."  We didn't go over the top with that or anything, but I incorporated it wherever I could... like the invitation, for instance.  I found this website called Paperless Post that has really cute themes with envelopes that you can open online:


The actual party had lots of food (DUH. Would you expect anything less from me?).  Please notice the cute little flower cupcakes my mom and I made and frosted by hand.  (Tutorial here.)  Click on any of the pictures to see them larger.


You're drooling now, huh?  Okay, maybe that's me with saliva on the keyboard.  But I was there and the food was DELICIOUS!!  Our lovely and talented host, Leslie, made those delectable looking chicken salad puffs and cream puffs.  Sigh....  Everything was bite sized and scrumdiddlyumptious.

My hometown's historical society let me borrow this giant tea service (who else would have 30 cups/plates etc. of a matching set?  Not Mormons, that's for sure :P)

(Quick plug-in for the society:) One of my favorite individuals, Donnie, runs the society with his wife.  They put on awesome events like a historical ball, May Day tea, and Shakespeare readings in the barn.  Go history!

Now back to the bridal shower:

SURPRISE!!!

Rachel thought it was actually a birthday party for her mom.  (Thus the giant present in the picture before this one.)  Boy, did she get that wrong :P




We had tons of friends and family there to celebrate.

We played this fun game just before John left where they each had one of each of their shoes.  (Make sense?  I tried to simplify that...)  A question would be read, like "Who uses the most movie quotes in everyday conversation?" and they, not seeing each other, would each raise the shoe of who they thought did that.  It's quite funny and it was a really good, quick way to get to know them as a couple.  They are very sweet :)

In keeping with our theme, we decided to make a scrapbook (period romances happened in the PAST) of pictures, memories, and Jane Austen quotes for Rachel.  I WISH I had thought to take a picture of the finished product, but... I didn't.  Sad day.  We all created a beautiful, unique album for Rachel that she can treasure and remember her roots and this day with.

Present time!

We definitely made the bride-to-be blush, as is our duty.

Friends.

Love.

Rachel and John get married in October, so expect to see some of their wedding pictures from me (I AM a bridesmaid, after all)!

(Touches unseen: fresh flowers, a complete collection of Jane Austen, and doilies doilies doilies.)

No comments:

Post a Comment